Today was the annual Terry Fox Run, supporting cancer research, awareness and care. As a general rule, I have very little sympathy for charities. Most support themselves by keeping enough cash flow to pay for their own employment and little else.
Don’t get me wrong – I think Terry Fox himself was courageous and most definitely a local hero – but I think the administrators of the Terry Fox Foundation are greedy and self-serving.
From the Canada Revenue Agency charity listings:
In 2009, the Terry Fox Foundation had:
- 102 million in assets, held in cash and investments
- 27 million in donations, interest, and government grants
This is in 2009 alone. How much did they spend? Where did they spend it?
- 3.75 million on fundraising and management
- 2 million on advertising and other office expence
But what about the research??? What about finding the “cure” for cancer??
- 1.3 million spent for research funding and grants
Click here to investigate your favourite Canadian charity!